Grittleton, Wiltshire Family History Guide

St Mary’s Grittleton. This historic church receives support from the historic churches trust and has undergone considerable development over time. It is reputed to have been around since the 1200s and before that there was another church on the site. It is in the south western section of the square. Pam Brophy / St Mary’s Grittleton / CC BY-SA 2.0

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1573
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Grittleton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

GRITTLETON, a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts; on Akeman street, near the boundary with Gloucester, 6½ miles NW of Chippenham r. station. Post town, Hullavington, under Chippenham. Acres, 2,040. Real property, £3,385. Pop. 349. house, 74. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Gores and the Hintons; and belongs now to Sir John Neild, Bart. Grittleton House, the baronet’s seat, was built in 1857; and contains a rich collection of works of art. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £389.  Patron, the Rev. W. W. Burne. The church is ancient but good. There is a Baptist chapel, with £39 from endowment; and there are charities £9.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Parish Registers

Marriages at Grittleton 1573-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Chippenham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Chippenham
Hundred: North Damerham
Province: Canterbury