Grittleton, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1573
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Grittleton

  • Leigh Delamere
  • Castle Combe
  • Littleton Drew
  • Stanton St Quintin
  • Hullavington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

GRITTLETON, a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts; on Akeman street, near the boundary with Gloucester, 6½ miles NW of Chippenham r. station. Post town, Hullavington, under Chippenham. Acres, 2,040. Real property, £3,385. Pop. 349. house, 74. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Gores and the Hintons; and belongs now to Sir John Neild, Bart. Grittleton House, the baronet's seat, was built in 1857; and contains a rich collection of works of art. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £389.  Patron, the Rev. W. W. Burne. The church is ancient but good. There is a Baptist chapel, with £39 from endowment; and there are charities £9.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Parish Registers

Marriages at Grittleton 1573-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Chippenham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Chippenham
Hundred: North Damerham
Province: Canterbury