Fovant is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Foffant
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1541
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FOVANT, or Foffont, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on the river Avon, adjacent to the Salisbury and Exeter railway, 2 miles SW by W of Dinton r. station, and 7 WSW of Wilton. It has a post office, of the name of Fovant, under Salisbury. Acres, 2,160. Real property, with Sutton-Mandeville, £5,351. Rated property of F. alone, £2,701. Pop., 600. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, 465. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church is ancient; has a fine tower, and a curious brass of 1492, and was recently in disrepair.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Wilton
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Chalke
- Poor Law Union: Wilton
- Hundred: Cawden and Cadworth
- Province: Canterbury