Everleigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Everley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1598
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
- Collingbourne Kingston
- Manningford Bohune
- Manningford Bruce
- Milton Lilbourne
- Manningford Abbas
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EVERLEY, or Everleigh, a village and a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts. The village stands on Salisbury Plain, 4¾ miles WNW of Ludgershall, and 5½ SSE of Pewsey r. station; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling-place; has a good inn; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 3,275 acres; and its post town is Collingbourne-Ducis, under Marlborough. Real property, with Collingbourne-Ducis, £6,141. Rated property of E. alone, £2,629. Pop., 294. Houses, 66. The property is all in one estate. The manor was held by the Saxon kings; is said to have had a palace of King Ina; passed to the Plantagenets; was given, by Elizabeth, to Sir Ralph Sadlier; and went to successively the Evelyns, the Barkers, and the Astleys. Everley House was probably built by Sir Ralph Sadlier; is now the seat of Sir F. Astley, Bart., and contains some curious old pictures. A pool, adjacent to the village, bears the name of King's Pond, supposed to have been given to it in commemoration of King Ina. Several eminences within the parish have ancient barrows, and remains of ancient British villages and camps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £707. Patron, Sir F. Astley, Bart. The church is modern and beautiful, on the model of a previous ancient one; and has a tower and a peal of six bells.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Pewsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Marlborough
Poor Law Union: Pewsey
Hundred: Elstub and Everleigh