Erlestoke is a chapelry of Melksham Ancient Parish in Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Earl Stoke, Earlestoke, East Stoke, Erlstoke
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1689
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1578
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- East Coulston
- Cheverell Magna
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EARL-STOKE, or Erlstoke, a parish in Devizes district, Wilts; near the north border of Salisbury plain, 2½ miles W of Market-Lavington, and 5½ SSW of Devizes r. station. It has a post office under Westbury. Acres, 2,400. Real property, £2,442. Pop., 378. Houses, 77. The manor belonged to the Monthermers and the Montacutes, Earls of Gloucester and Salisbury. Earl-Stoke Park is the seat of the Taylor family. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Melksham, in the diocese of Salisbury.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Devizes
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Potterne
Poor Law Union: Devizes