Enford Wiltshire Family History Guide

Enford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.

Other places in the parish include: Newtown, Long Street, Littlecott, Littlecot, Fifield, East Chisenbury, Coombe, Compton, Combe, Comb, and Chisenbury.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1631
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605; 1623

Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Primitive Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ENFORD, a tything and a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts. The tything lies on the river Avon, in Salisbury plain, 7 miles SSW of Pewsey r. station, and 8½ W by N of Ludgershall; and has a post office under Marlborough. The parish contains also the tythings of Fifield, Chisenbury, Compton, Combe, Littlecott, Long-Street, and Newtown. Acres, 7,880. Real property, with Fittleton, but without Fifield, £10,414. Pop., 893. Houses, 189. The parish contains many barrows, and is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £350. Patron, Christ's Hospital, London. The church was destroyed by lightning in 1817, and afterwards rebuilt; and has a lofty spire. There is a Baptist chapel. Charities, £4.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Sweetapple John Pearce, Chisenbury, Wiltshire, horse dealer, March 1, 1825.

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Pewsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Potterne
Poor Law Union: Pewsey
Hundred: Elstub and Everleigh
Province: Canterbury