Edington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: West Coulston, Tinhead, and Baynton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Norton Bavant
- Steeple Ashton
- East Coulston
- West Ashton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EDINGTON, a tything, a parish, and a sub-district, in Westbury district, Wilts. The tything lies 3 ½ miles NE by E of Westbury town and r. station; and has a post-office under Westbury. The parish contains also the tythings of West Coulston, Baynton, and Tinhead. Acres, 5,705. Real property, £9,453. Pop., 994. Houses, 239. The property is all in one estate. The manor belonged, after the Reformation, to the first Marquis of Winchester; passed to the Dukes of Bolton; and belongs now to W. Taylor, Esq. A collegiate church was built here, in 1347, by William de Edington, a native of this parish, and bishop of Winchester; was changed, in 1358, into a monastery of Bonhommes; and was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Thomas Seymour. A palace of the bishops of Salisbury also stood here; but it was plundered and destroyed by Jack Cade’s mob in 1460; and Bishop Ayscough, who was then in the church performing mass, was dragged out and put to death. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value 87. Patron, W. Taylor, Esq. The church is partly the structure built by Bishop Edington; has a cruciform plan; forms an interesting specimen of transition architecture from decorated English to perpendicular; and contains a monument of Sir Simon Taylor by Chantrey, and some ancient monuments and brasses. Charities, £5. The sub-district contains three parishes, and parts of two others. Pop., 3,490. Houses, 811.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Westbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Potterne
Poor Law Union: Westbury and Whorwellsdown