East Knoyle is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Upton, Milton, and Knoyle.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, and Primitive Methodist.
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Registers
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KNOYLE (EAST), a village and a parish in Mere district, Wilts. The village stands 2½ miles N by W of Semley r. station, and 2½ SW by S of Hindon; and has a post-office under Salisbury.
The parish comprises the tythings of Knoyle, Milton, and Upton. Acres, 5,558. Real property with Pertwood, £7,541. Rated property of E. K. alone, £6,381. Pop., 1,034. Houses, 240. The property is divided among a few.
The manor belongs to the Bishop of Winchester. Knoyle House is the seat of H. D. Seymour, Esq.; and contains an interesting collection of pictures.
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £851. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good; and has a modern nave, and an embattled tower. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £76.
Sir Christopher Wren was a native, and his father was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KNOYLE, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mere, hundred of Downton, Hindon and S. divisions of the county of Wilts, 2¼ miles (S. W.) from Hindon; containing, with the tythings of Milton and Upton, 1038 inhabitants, of whom 541 are in the tything of Knoyle.
The parish comprises 5558 acres, of which 125 are common or waste land.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £30, and in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £910, and the glebe comprises 111 acres. The gallery of the church has been enlarged. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The sum of £11 per annum, arising from bequests, is applied towards the support of a school; and there is a fund of about £80 per annum, left by various persons, for apprenticing children, and for the benefit of the poor.
The celebrated architect, Sir Christopher Wren, was a native of the parish, of which his father was rector.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Marriages at East Knoyle 1538-1812
Marriages Out of Parish
|Details||Place of Marriage|
|James Parker, b., of East Knowle, & Ann White, sp. 2 July 1758||Bratton Wiltshire|
|Christopher Maidment, of East Knoyle, & Margret Curtise 17 July 1701||Mere|
|Anthony Jo. George, of East Knoyl, & Jane Hilgrove 24 May 1703||Mere|
|Daniel Davidge, of Batcombe [Batcombe written over East Knoyle erased], Somerset, & Anne Deveril, of M. 5 Mar. 1704/5||Mere|
|William Rickets, of E. Knoil, & Katherine Preston, of W. Knoile 19 Apr. 1713||Mere|
|Thomas Alford, of M., & Sarah Strong, of E. Knoile 29 July 1717||Mere|
|Brether Snook & Mary Cheesman, both of East Knoil 21 May 1724||Mere|
|Richard Lush & Melior Lyde, of East Knoyle 13 Jan. 1724/5||Mere|
|Edward Oburn & Mary White, of E. Knoile 11 Oct. 1726||Mere|
|Joseph Ceril, of M., & Mary Guire, of East Knoyle 19 Sept. 1738||Mere|
|Robert Ford, of East Knoyle, & Edith Sprakland, of Cucklington 9 Apr. 1739||Mere|
|William Farret, of East Knoyle, & Mary Cowerd, of M. 21 June 1752||Mere|
The bishop’s transcripts and parish registers of East Knoyle, baptisms & burials, 1538-1837 Author: Ainge, Don; Wiltshire Family History Society; Church of England. Parish Church of East Knoyle (Wiltshire)
Manors – Court Records
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Mere
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Chalke
- Poor Law Union: Mere
- Hundred: Downton
- Province: Canterbury