East Grafton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1844 from chapelry in Great Bedwyn Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Wilton, Wexcombe, and West Grafton.
Alternative names: Grafton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1844
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1844
- Collingbourne Kingston
- Tidcombe and Fosbury
- Great Bedwyn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRAFTON (East), a tything and a chapelry in Great Bedwin parish, Wilts. The tything lies near the Kennet and Avon canal, about 3 miles SSE of Savernake r. station, and 6½ N of Ludgershall. The chapelry was constituted in 1844; and it has a post office under Marlborough. Rated property, £4,887. Pop., 1,011. Houses, 195. The property is divided among three. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £115. Patron, the vicar of Great Bedwin. The church was built in 1842; is an elegant edifice in the Norman style, with a north-western tower; and has a memorial window, put up in 1856, to the late Marquis of Ailesbury.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Hungerford
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Lord Warden of Savemake Forest
Rural Deanery: Marlborough
Poor Law Union: Hungerford