Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1591
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1599
Parishes adjacent to Durrington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DURRINGTON, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, 2¼ miles N of Amesbury, and 8½ NNE of Wilton r. station. It has a post office under Salisbury. Acres, 2, 682. Real property, with Bulford and Milston, £7,235. Rated property of D. alone, £2,112. Pop., 440. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. An earthwork here, called Durrington Walls, or Long Walls, is supposed to be the remains of an ancient British village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £100. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is modern; and there is an Independent chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Durrington, a parish in the hund. and union of Amesbury, county of Wilts; 2½ miles north of Amesbury; on the river Avon. Living, a curacy in the archd. and dio. of Salisbury: returned at £41 3s. 6d.; gross income £53. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £560. In the patronage of the dean and chapter of Winchester. In this neighbourhood are the remains of the ancient British town of Durrington, or Long Walls. Acres 2,830. Houses 76. A.P. £2,041. Pop., in 1801, 394; in 1831, 467. Poor rates, in 1837. £276.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Durrington Wiltshire Marriages 1591 to 1812 - View Online
Civil Registration District: Amesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Amesbury
Poor Law Union: Amesbury