Donhead St Andrew is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: St Andrew Donhead
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1655
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DONHEAD-ST. ANDREW, a village and a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Nadder, near its head, and near the boundary with Dorset, 2 miles SSE of Semley r. station, and 3¼ ENE of Shaftesbury; and has a post office under Salisbury. The parish comprises 3,540 acres. Rated property, £3,635. Pop., 830. Houses, 180. The property is subdivided. Donhead Hall belonged once to a grandson of Sir Godfrey Kneller, and belongs now to John Du Bonlay, Esq. Tittlepath Hill here is encircled by Castle-Rings camp; and perhaps gave rise to the name Donhead, which seems to be a corruption of Dunheved, signifying the “swelling hill.” The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £814. Patron, the Rev. W. Dansey. The church is later English, in good condition; has an embattled and pinnacled tower; and contains an ancient Norman font, and a curiously-sculptured column capital. An endowed school has £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Tisbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Chalke
- Poor Law Union: Tisbury
- Hundred: Dunworth
- Province: Canterbury