Dinton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire. Teffont Magna is a chapelry of Dinton.
Alternative names: Dinton with Teffont Magna
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1598
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Teffont Magna
- Teffont Evias
- Steeple Langford
- Compton Chamberlayne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DINTON, a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands near the river Nadder, and the Salisbury and Yeovil railway, 5½ miles W of Wilton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Salisbury. The parish, together with Teffont-Magna, comprises 4,086 acres.
Real property, with Teffont-Magna and Teffont-Evias, £7,002. Rated property of D. alone, £3,186. Pop., 509. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. Dinton House is the seat of William Wyndham, Esq. The parish is a meet for the South Wiltshire hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Teffont-Magna, In the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, Magdalene College, Oxford. The church is externally good, but internally bad. Lord Clarendon, the historian, was born in the parsonage. Henry Lawes, the musician, also was a native; whom Milton designates as
Harry, whose tuneful and well-measured song
First taught our English music how to span
Words with just note and accent.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wilton
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Chalke
Poor Law Union: Wilton