Derry Hill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1841 from Calne Ancient Parish, Bremhill with Foxham and Highway Ancient Parish, Bishop's Cannings Ancient Parish, Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas Ancient Parish, Corsham Ancient Parish, Bowood extra-parochial and Pewsham extra-parochial.
Other places in the parish include: Bowood Liberty and Bowood.
Alternative names: Christchurch Derryhill, Derry Hill in Calne
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1840
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1840
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHRISTCHURCH-DERRYHILL, a chapelry in Chippenham, Calne, and Devizes districts, Wilts; on the Wilts and Berks canal, near the Great Western railway, 2¾ miles ESE of Chippenham r. station. It includes the extra-parochial place of Pewsham, the liberty of Bowood, and parts of the parishes of Chippenham, Corsham, Calne, Bremhill, and Bishops-Cannings; and was constituted in 1841. Post town, Chippenham. Pop., 1,388. Houses, 304. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Calne. The church stands in Studley hamlet, Calne parish; and is a handsome edifice of 1840, with tower and lofty spire.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Calne; Chippenham; Devizes
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Rural Deanery: Avebury
Poor Law Union: Chippenham
Hundred: Calne; Chippenham; Potterne and Cannings