Dauntsey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Dantsey
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Particular Baptist.
- Christian Malford
- Little Somerford
- Great Somerford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DAUNTSEY, or Dantsey, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, near the Great Western railway, 4½ miles SSE of Malmsbury, and 5¾ W of Wootton-Bassett. It has a post-office under Chippenham, and a r. station. Acres, 3,301. Real property, £5,815. Pop., 578. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at the conquest, to Malmsbury abbey; and passed to the Danteseys, the Straddlings, the Danverses, the Crown, and the Great Earl of Peterborough. Part of the land is common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £344. Patron, the Rev. W. E. Elwell. The church has monuments of the Danverses; and is tolerable. Charities, £71. The parish gave the title of Baron to the son of James II.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Malmesbury