Damerham Wiltshire & Hampshire Family History Guide

Damerham is an Ancient Parish originally in the county of Wiltshire until 1895 when it was transferred to the county of Hampshire. Martin is a chapelry of Damerham.

Other places in the parish include: South End, North End, and East End.

Alternative names: South Damerham

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1678
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606; 1622

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Toyd Farm with Allenford
  • Fordingbridge
  • Martin
  • Alderholt
  • Cranborne with Boveridge
  • Rockbourne

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DAMERHAM (South), a parish and a hundred in Wilts. The parish is in Fordingbridge district; lies on an affluent of the river Avon, at the boundary with Dorset, 3 miles W of Fordingbridge r. station, and 7½ NW by N of Ringwood; includes the tythings of East End, North End, and South End; and has a post office, of the name of Damerham, under Salisbury. Acres, 4,310. Real property, with Martin and Whichbury, £9,674. Pop., 697. Houses, 149. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, 320. Patron, the Earl of Chichester. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Baptists. The hundred contains also four other parishes. Acres, 16,832. Pop., 3,008. Houses, 694.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Fordingbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Chalke
Poor Law Union: Fordingbridge
Hundred: South Damerham
Province: Canterbury