Compton Bassett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMPTON-BASSETT, a parish in Calne district, Wilts; 2 miles E of Calne r. station, and 7 SSW of Wootton-Bassett. It has a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 2,632. Real property, £4,324. Pop., 369. Houses, 83. The property is all in one estate. The manor belonged to the Bassets; and was forfeited by them to the Crown. Compton-Bassett House is the seat of G. H. W. Heneage, Esq.; and commands an extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £497. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is partly Norman, partly later English; and is good. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Calne
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Rural Deanery: Avebury
Poor Law Union: Calne