Coleshill is an Ancient Parish partly in Berkshire and partly in Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
- Highworth with Sevenhampton
- Great Coxwell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLESHlLL, a village in Faringdon district, Berks; and a parish partly also in Wilts. The village stands on the river Cole, at the boundary between Berks and Wilts, 3¾ miles WSW of Faringdon r. station, and 4½ N of Shrivenham; consists chiefly of new, neat, uniform cottages; has a post-office under Swindon; and gives the title of Baron to the Earl of Radnor. The parish is mainly in Berks, but includes Lynt, a pasture farm of 480 acres in Wilts. Acres, 2,301. Real property, £5,202. Pop., 464. Houses, 80. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to the Pleydells, and passed, by marriage, to the Bouveries. Coleshill House, the seat of the Earl of Radnor, is a quadrangular structure of 1650 by Inigo Jones, retaining its original character, and forming the finest specimen of Jones' taste and talent; and it contains a fine hall, and many good family portraits. The grounds are remarkably beautiful; and there is a great model farm. Vestiges of a Roman camp are seen at Binbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £311. Patron, the Earl of Radnor. The church is a handsome structure, with pinnacled western tower; and contains a curious circular window, with the arms of Sir Mark Stuart Pleydell and his lady, a marble cenotaph, by Rysbrach, to their daughter, afterwards Countess of Radnor, and an eastern window, representing the Nativity, brought from Angers. Charities, £121.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Faringdon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
Rural Deanery: Abingdon
Poor Law Union: Faringdon