Codford St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: St Mary Codford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1623
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CODFORD-ST. MARY, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on the river Wiley, near Codford r. station, 4 miles SE of Heytesbury. It has a post office under Bath. Acres, 2,123. Real property, with Codford-St. Peter, £4,086. Pop., 404. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. Codford-Hill is crowned by a curious earthwork, called Ogbury or Codford Circle, supposed to have been formed by Druids for religious rites; and commands a most interesting view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £306. Patron, St. John’s College, Oxford. The church is later English, in good condition; and there is an Independent chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Warminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Warminster
- Hundred: Heytesbury
- Province: Canterbury