Chute is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Cadley.
Alternative names: Upper Chute
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1580
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1579
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Vernhams Dean
- Collingbourne Kingston
- Chute Forest
- Tidcombe and Fosbury
- Hurstbourne Tarrant
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHUTE, a village and a parish in the district of Andover and county of Wilts. The village stands on the Roman road from Winchester, under Chute Down, 3¼ miles NE of Ludgershall, and 6¼ NW of Andover r. station; and it bears sometimes the name of Upper Chute. The parish includes also the hamlet of Cadley; and has a post-office, of the name of Chute-Standen, under Andover. Acres, 3,181. Real property, £2,710. Pop., 538. Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. Chute Lodge is the seat of the Rev. H. Fowle; and Conholt Park, of Lady Charles Wellesley. Haydon-Hill Castle, on the farm of Fosbury, is an ancient camp. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £244. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is very good. Charities, £7. Corderoy, the divine, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Andover
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebendal of Chute and Chisenbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Marlborough
Poor Law Union: Andover