Chittoe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1846 from chapelry in Bishop’s Cannings Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Chitway
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1846
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1846
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Derry Hill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHITTOE, or Chitway, a tything in Bishops-Canning parish, and a chapelry in Bishops-Canning and Bromham parishes, Wilts. The tything lies on the Roman road to Bath, 4½ miles NE by E of Melksham r. station, and 5 NW of Devizes. Acres, 1,100. Real property, £1,275. Pop., 180. Houses, 44. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Post town, Bromham, under Chippenham. Pop., 382. Houses, 85. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £90. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Devizes
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Avebury
Poor Law Union: Devizes
Hundred: Potterne and Cannings