Chitterne St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Chiltern St Mary, St Mary Chiltern
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHITTERNE-ST. MARY, or Chiltern-St. Mary, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Wiley, near Knock Castle, 3¼ miles NNE of Codford r. station, and 8 W by S of Warminster. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 1,198. Rated property, £1,005. Pop., 201. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Chitterne-All Saints, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bishop’s transcripts for Chitterne-All Saints, 1611-1880 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Chitterne-All-Saints (Wiltshire); Church of England. Parish Church of Chitterne-St. Mary (Wiltshire)
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Warminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Warminster
- Hundred: Heytesbury
- Province: Canterbury