Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Wiltshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Other places in the parish include: Tytherton Lucas, Studley, Station Hill, Stanley, Nethermore, Causeway, and Allington.
Parish registers begin:
Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas
- Parish registers: 1578
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Separate registers exist for Tytherton Lucas
- Parish registers: 1812
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Chippenham
- Langley Burrell
- Langley Fitzurse
- Yatton Keynell
- Tytherton Kellaways
- Derry Hill
- Bremhill with Foxham and Highway
- Kington St Michael
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHIPPENHAM, a town, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred in Wilts. The town stands on the river Avon, the Berks and Wilts canal, and the Great Western railway, 12 miles NE by E of Bath. It was a seat of the Wessex kings; was the place of Alfred's court, both before and after his defeat of the Danes; was the head-quarters of the Danes during his retirement to Selwood forest; and belonged, at Domesday, to the Crown. A causeway was made through it, in 1474, by Maud Heath, from Chippenham cliff to Wick hill, a distance of 4 miles; and is marked, at intervals, with upright inscribed stones. The surrounding country is rich, and abounds with fine seats. Two chalybeate springs are in the vicinity; and pipes from one of them to the town were laid in 1865. The town occupies a slope; includes a main street, of considerable length; and has, of late years, been much improved. A stone bridge, of 22 arches, spans the Avon, and is a fine feature. The town hall is a modern structure, built at a cost of £12,000, and thrice extended, at an additional cost of £1,000. The cheese market presents a frontage of 50 feet; and has a covered area of 15,500 feet. The parish church is variously Norman, early, decorated, and perpendicular English; includes a very curious chapel, with memorials of the Hungerfords; has a tower of late perpendicular, with a spire; contains a monument, of 1627, to Sir Gilbert Prynne; and was recently subjected to thorough repair. There are several dissenting chapels, a free school, a literary institution, a fine temperance-hall of 1863, a head post office, a railway station with telegraph, three banking offices, and three chief inns. A weekly market is held on Friday; and fairs on 17 May, 22 June, 29 Oct., and 11 Dec. Trade is carried on in cloth manufacture, silk weaving, iron-working, and extensive sale of corn and cheese. The town is a borough by prescription; sent two members to parliament till 1867, but now sends only one; and is governed by a mayor, four aldermen and twelve councillors. Its m. limits include only part of Chippenham parish; while its p. ones include Chippenham, Langley-Burrell, and Hardenhuish parishes, and the extra-p. tract of Pewsham. Real property in 1860, £17,639. Direct taxes in 1857, £5,119. Electors in 1868, 407. Pop. of the m. borough in 1841, 1,875; in 1861, 1,603. Houses, 300. Pop. of the p. borough in 1841, 6,606; in 1861, 7,075. Houses, 1,345. John Scott, the author of the "Christian Life," and Lodowick Muggleton, the founder of the sect of Muggletonians, were natives. Charities, £236.
The parish includes Allington, Nethermore, Stanley, and Studley tythings, and Tytherton-Lucas chapelry. Acres, 9,100. Real property, £2,316. Pop., 5,396. Houses, 1,021. The property is very much subdivided. There are two livings, the one a vicarage with Tytherton chapelry, the other one a p. curacy but now a rectory, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value of the former, £284; of the latter, £200. Patron of the former, Christ-church, Oxford; of the latter, the Bishop of G. and B. -The sub-district contains the parliamentary borough of Chippenham and the parish of Laycock. Acres, 1,288. Pop., 8,574. Houses, 1,670. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Corsham, containing the parishes of Corsham, Colerne, Ditteridge, Box, Slaughterford, Biddestone-St. Nicholas, and Biddestone-St. Peter; the sub-district of Castle-Combe, containing the parishes of Castle-Combe, Littleton-Drew, Grittleton, Leigh-de-la-Mere, Yatton-Keynell, Nettleton, West Kington, and North Wraxhall; and the sub-district of Christian-Malford, containing the parishes of Christian-Malford, Kington-St. Michael, Stanton-St. Quiutin, Draycot-Cerne, Sutton-Benger, Seagry, and Tytherton-Kelways, and the extra-parochial tract of Avon. Acres, 60,035. Poor-rates, in 1862, £1,030. Pop. 184, 23,298; in 1861, 22,029. Houses, 4,539. Marriages in 1860, 121; births, 673, of which 34 were illegitimate; deaths, 415, of which 155 were at ages under 5 years, and 30 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,321; births, 6,909; deaths, 4,493. The places of worship in 1851 were 27 of the Church of England, with 8,498 sittings; 13 of Independents, with 336 s.; 10 of Baptists, with 1,708 s.; 4 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 644 s.; 10 of Primitive Methodists, with 934 s.; 1 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 160 s.; 2 of Brethren, with 260 s.; and 1 undefined, with 40 attendants. The schools were 27 public day schools, with 1,915 scholars; 43 private day schools, with 837 s.; and 34 Sunday schools, with 2,668 s. There are two work-houses, the one in Chippenham, the other in Laycock. The hundred is of similar extent to the district; but has different boundaries. Acres, 60,142. Pop., 20,249. Houses, 4,201.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Chippenham, 93 miles W. London. Market, Sat. P. 5438
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Allington, a tything in the parish and hund. of Chippenham, Wilts. Pop., in 1821, 110. A. P. £1.259.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Records of Chippenham relating to the borough : from its incorporation by Queen Mary, 1554, to its reconstruction by act of Parliament, 1889. Comprising extracts from the minute books and registers of accounts of the corporation, together with copies and references from the charter, deeds, and documents in the borough chest. - View Online
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Carpenter William, Chippenham, Wilts, innkeeper, Jan. 14, 1842.
Guy Anthony, Chippenham, Wiltshire, money scrivener, Dec. 25, 1829.
Hannum Charles, Chippenham, Wiltshire, carpenter & wharfinger, Feb. 8. 1833.
Hulbert Thomas, Chippenham, Wiltshire, linen draper, Dec. 10, 1822.
Jones James, Chippenham, Wiltshire, grocer, Aug. 13, 1833.
Mansell Edward, Chippenham. Wiltshire, upholsterer, Nov. 29, 1842.
Noyes George, Chippenham, Wiltshire, ironmonger, Aug. 4, 1837.
Taylor Charles Salter, Chippenham, Wiltshire, clothier, Oct. 6, 1829.
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Chippenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chippenham
- Hundred: Chippenham
- Province: Canterbury