Chilton Foliat is an Ancient Parish partly in Berkshire and partly in Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Chilton Foliatt, Chilton Folliatt
Other places in the parish include: Leverton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1569
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
- Lambourn Woodlands
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHILTON-FOLIATT, a parish in the district of Hungerford, and counties of Wilts and Berks; on the river Kennet, near the Reading and Devizes railway, 2 miles NW by W of Hungerford. It includes the hamlet of Leverton; and has a post office under Hungerford. Acres, 3,740. Real property, £4,731. Pop., 691. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Foliatts; passed to the Warines, and others; and was given, by Sutton, to the Charter-house. Chilton House and Chilton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £994. Patron, F. L. Popham, Esq. The church is very good; and contains some old monuments. Charities, £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
County: Berkshire; Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Hungerford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Rural Deanery: Marlborough
Poor Law Union: Hungerford
Hundred: Kintbury Eagle; Kinwardstone