Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1695
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611; 1622
Parishes adjacent to Charlton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHARLTON, a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts; on the river Avon, near Salisbury plain, 3¼ miles S of Woodborough r. station, and 8½ SE by E of Devizes. Post Town, Pewsey, under Marlborough. Acres, 1,706. Real property, £1,835. Pop., 222. Houses, 44. The property is divided among three. An alien priory was founded here, in 1187, by Reginald de Raveley; given, at the suppression of alien monasteries, to St. Catherine's hospital; and transferred, in the time of Edward VI., to the Sheringtons. A Roman camp is at Casterley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £143. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is old but excellent; with a tower; and has a mural brass of 1524. Stephen Duck, the author of the "Thrasher's Labour," was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Charlton near Pewsey 1696-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Pewsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Potterne
Poor Law Union: Pewsey
Hundred: Swanborough (Wiltshire)