Charlton (near Malmesbury) is a chapelry of Westport St Mary Ancient Parish in Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Stonehill.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1661
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHARLTON, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; 2¼ miles NE of Malmsbury, and 4 WSW of Minety r. station. It as a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 4,780. Real property, £4,926. Pop., 621. Houses, 129. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to Malmsbury Abbey; passed to the Knevits; and belongs now to the Earl of Suffolk. The mansion on it, Charlton House, is a stately edifice, of Jacobean architecture, with west front by Inigo Jones; contains a large collection of valuable paintings; and was frequently visited by the poet Dryden. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Westport, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English; and contains the burial-vault of the Earls of Suffolk. Charities, £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
- Poor Law Union: Malmesbury
- Hundred: Malmesbury
- Province: Canterbury