Castle Eaton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Lushill.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1549
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Parishes adjacent to Castle Eaton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CASTLE-EATON, a small village and a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Thames, adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, 3½ miles ENE of Cricklade, and 6¼ NE of Purton r. station. The parish includes also the tything of Lushill; and its Post Town is Kempsford under Swindon. Acres, 1,956. Real property, with Lushill and Marston-Maisey, £6,171. Pop., 286. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. Lushill House is the seat of the Archers. A place called the Butts seems to have been notable, in old times, for the practice of archery. The parish is famous for cheese. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £633. Patron, the Rev. E. Bowlby. The church dates from about 1400; has a singular cupola; and is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Castle Eaton Marriages 1549-1812
Marriages at Castle Eaton Wiltshire 1549-1812 - View Online
Civil Registration District: Highworth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Cricklade
Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
Hundred: Highworth, Cricklade and Staple