Brixton Deverill, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606; 1608; 1622

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Brixton Deverill

  • Hill Deverill
  • Pertwood
  • Maiden Bradley
  • Monkton Deverill
  • Sutton Veny
  • Longbridge Deverill with Crockerton
  • Kingston Deverill
  • Chicklade
  • Tytherington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRIXTON-DEVERILL, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on a headstream of the river Wiley, and on the Roman road to Salisbury, 5 miles S of Warminster r. station. Post Town, Longbridge-Deverill, under Warminster. Acres, 2,450. Real property, £2,076. Pop., 225. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. Alfred halted here a night on his march against the Danes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £480. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was repaired in 1862.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Directories

Kelly's Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Warminster
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Warminster
Hundred: Heytesbury
Province: Canterbury