Britford, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Burford

Other places in the parish include: the tything of East Harnham, and the hamlet of Longford

Parish church: St. Peter

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1572
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1620

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Britford

  • West Harnham
  • Alderbury
  • Homington
  • East Harnham
  • Charlton All Saints
  • Salisbury St Martin
  • Nunton and Bodenham
  • Coombe Bissett
  • Stratford Tony
  • Odstock
  • Laverstock

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRITFORD, or Burford, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Alderbury district, Wilts. The village stands adjacent to the Salisbury and Southampton canal, near the Bishopstoke and Salisbury railway, 1½ mile SE of Salisbury; and has a fair on 12 Aug. The parish includes also the tything of East Harnham, and the hamlet of Longford; and its Post Town is Salisbury. Acres, 3,148. Real property, £6,980. Pop., 872. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to King Harold; and belongs now to the Earl of Radnor. Longford Castle, the seat of the Earl, occupied by Viscount Folkestone, was built about 1591 by Sir Thomas Gorges; is a curiously constructed edifice, of triangular form, with inner court; and possesses a very fine picture gallery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £281. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is cruciform; and contains a mausoleum of the Bouveries, and a curious, sculptured altar-tomb, usually, but erroneously, said to be that of the Duke of Buckingham who was beheaded by Richard III. East Harnham vicarage is a separate benefice. The parish contains Alderbury workhouse. The subdistrict comprises five parishes, a tything, a liberty, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 9,095. Pop., 5,623. Houses, 985.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Parish Registers

Marriages at Britford 1573-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Alderbury
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Chalke
Poor Law Union: Alderbury
Hundred: Cawden and Cadworth
Province: Canterbury