Bratton, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Bratton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1845 from chapelry in Westbury Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Stradbrook.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St James

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1542
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1594; 1608

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent Methodist, and Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Bratton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRATTON, a chapelry in Westbury parish, Wilts; 4 miles ENE of Westbury r. station. It has a post office under Westbury. Rated property, £4,199. Pop., 744. Houses, 170. The property is much subdivided. Bratton Castle, on the crown of a hill, is an ancient camp of 23 acres, partly defended by a double rampart, in some parts 36 feet high, and said to have been constructed by the Danes. The White Horse, on the S slope below the camp, is a colossal figure similar to the White Horse of Berks, probably ancient, and originally of rude design, but remodelled in 1778. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Westbury. Charities, £36.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Registers

Marriages at Bratton Wiltshire 1542-1837 - View Online

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Westbury
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Precentor of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Westbury and Whorwellsdown
Hundred: Westbury (Wiltshire)
Province: Canterbury