Status: Ancient Parish
Other places in the parish include: Cortington, Corton
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Parishes adjacent to Boyton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOYTON, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on the river Willy, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 1½ mile NW of Codford station, and 2 ½ SE of Heytesbury. It includes Corton township; and its Post Town is Upton-Lovel, under Bath. Acres, 3,956. Real property, £3,338. Pop., 410. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry II., to the Giffords; and passed to the Lamberts. The mansion on it was built, in 1618, by Thomas Lambert; was occupied, in the present century, by Bourke Lambert, who collected here upwards of 30,000 species of plants; and is now the seat of the Rev. Arthur Fane. A pit in the neighbourhood of the grounds, called Chapel Hole, is popularly believed to have swallowed up a church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £549. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church dates from the latter part of the 12th century; was restored in 1860, at a cost of upwards of £2,000; and contains grand monuments of the Giffords, and several new memorial windows.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Boyton Wiltshire Marriages 1560-1837 - View Online
Civil Registration District: Warminster
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Warminster