Bishopstone (near Shrivenham, Berkshire) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Bishopston
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1573
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1589
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BISHOPSTONE, a parish in Highworth district, Wilts; on the verge of the county, 2¾ miles S of Shrivenham r. station, and 6 E of Swindon. It has a post office under Shrivenham. Acres, 4,452. Real property, £4,513. Pop., 716. Houses, 147. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £208. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is tolerable. A school has an endowed income of £59, and other charities £69.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Norris Thomas, Bishopstone, Wiltshire, shoe maker, Aug. 31, 1822.
Civil Registration District: Highworth
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebendal of Bishopstone
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Cricklade
Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon