Bishopstone (near Salisbury) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Throope, Pitts, Netton, Hamston, Faulston, Croucheston, and Croncheston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1601
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606; 1622
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BISHOPSTONE, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Wilton, Wilts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 3½ miles SSW of Wilton r. station, and 4½ SW of Salisbury. The parish includes also the hamlets of Throope, Croncheston, Faulston, Hamston, Netton, and Pitts; and its Post Town is Bishopstone, under Salisbury. Acres, 4,452Real property, with Stratford-Toney, £6,047. Pop., 685. Houses, 136. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £806. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke The church is cruciform; shows features of many styles and periods, but is mainly of the time of Henry VI.; belonged to the priory of Monkton-Farleigh; and contains two stone coffins, which are supposed to hold the remains of bishops. Charities, £10. The subdistrict contains eleven parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 31,459. Pop., 4,904. Houses, 1,036.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Norris Thomas, Bishopstone, Wiltshire, shoe maker, Aug. 31, 1822.
Civil Registration District: Wilton
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Chalke
Poor Law Union: Wilton