Berwick St John is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.

Alternative names: St John Berwick

Parish church: St John

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605

Nonconformists include:

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Berwick St John

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BERWICK-ST. JOHN, a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts; at the source of the Ebell river, under White Sheet hills, near Cranborne Chase, 4 ¼. miles S of Tisbury r. station, and 5½ E by S of Shaftesbury. It has a post-office under Salisbury. Acres, 3,669. Real property, with Alvediston and Tollard-Royal, £7,280. Pop., 499. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. Winkelbury camp, or Vespasian’s camp, on a lofty ridge in the SW, is an entrenchment of 12½ acres, engirt by a single ditch and by a rampart 39 feet high; and commands a very extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £562. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is a cruciform structure of the time of Henry VII.; has a low, square, central, ornamented tower; was restored in 1861-2; and contains two ancient effigies of crusaders, and monuments of the Grove family and others. There is a Baptist chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Berwick, St. John, a parish in the division oi Hindon, hund. of Chalk, union of Tisbury, county of Wilts; 5½ miles east by south of Shaftesbury. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Salisbury; valued at £26 13s. 4d.; gross income £664; in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of New college, Oxford. Here is a place of worship for Baptists; the church was formed in 1825. This parish possesses a daily school, containing 53 pupils, and two Sunday schools. Pop., in 1801, 357; in 1831, 425. Houses 90. Acres 4,230. A.P. £2,881. Poor rates, in 1837, £280.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Parish Records

Administration

  • County: Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Tisbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Chalke
  • Poor Law Union: Tisbury
  • Hundred: Chalk
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts