Status: Chapelry

Parish church: St. Andrew;

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1656; see also Fugglestone
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Bemerton

  • Fugglestone
  • West Harnham
  • Stratford sub Castle
  • Fisherton Anger

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BEMERTON, a chapelry in Fugglestone-St. Peter parish, Wilts; 1½ mile W by N of Salisbury r. station. Post Town, Salisbury. Rated property, £1,336. Pop., 109. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Fugglestone, in the diocese of Salisbury. The old church had windows of decorated English, and a font of early English; and was restored by George Herbert, the poet. The present church was built in 1861; is in the transition style from first to second pointed; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with northeastern square tower, but presents a very irregular outline. George Herbert, who died in 1635; John Norris, the poet and metaphysician, who died in 1711; and Archdeacon Cox, the traveller and historian, who died in 1828, were rectors.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

St. Andrew’s old church, Bemerton, Wilts This church was replaced as the parish church by St. John’s a little to the west. St. Andrew’s was the church that the poet-priest George Herbert would have ministered in when he was vicar here in the early 17th Century. There is a stained glass window commemorating him inside the church. nick macneill / St. Andrew’s old church, Bemerton, Wilts / CC BY-SA 2.0

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Vision of Britain historical maps


County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Wilton
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Salisbury
Poor Law Union: Wilton
Hundred: Branch and Dole
Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts