Barford St Martin, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: St Martin Barford

Parish church: St. Martin

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1623

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Barford St Martin

  • Baverstock
  • Groveley Wood
  • Compton Chamberlayne
  • Burcombe

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BARFORD (St Martin), a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on a tributary of the river Avon, 3 miles W of Wilton r. station, and 5½ W by N of Salisbury. It has a post office under Salisbury. Acres, inclusive of the extra-parochial tract of Grovely Wood, 2,236. Real property, together with Baverstock, £5,984. Pop., 519. Houses, 116. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £577. Patron, All Souls' College, Oxford. The church is good; and there is an Independent chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Directories

Kelly's Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Wilton
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Chalke
Poor Law Union: Wilton
Hundred: Cawden and Cadworth
Province: Canterbury