Atworth with South Wraxall is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1846 from Atworth chapelry and South Wraxall chapelry in Bradford-on-Avon Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish; Civil Parish (after 1884)
Atworth was formerly a tithing of Bradford, but by an order of the Local Government Board, 19th December, 1884, the tithing of Atworth was amalgamated with Great and Little Chatfield and Cottles to form the civil parish of Atworth (ecclesiastically they remain as before.)1
Alternative names: Atford, Atworth
Other places in the parish include: Upper Wraxall, Lower Wraxall, and South Wraxall.
Parish church: St Michael (rebuilt in 1832)
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1645
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1585
Separate registers exist for South Wraxall:
- Parish registers: 1672
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
Table of Contents
Parishes adjacent to Atworth
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ATWORTH, or Atford, a chapelry in Bradford parish, Wilts; near the Roman road, 3 miles WNW of Melksham r. station. Post Town, Melksham. Acres, 1,170. Real property, with South Wraxall, £5,337. Pop., 949. Houses, 225. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage with South Wraxall, in the diocese of Salisbury Value, £255. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church was built in 1828. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £17.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Atworth, 3 miles N. E. Great Bradford. P. included therein.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ATWORTH, a tything and chapelry, in the parish of Great Bradford, union and hundred of Bradford, Westbury and N. divisions and Trowbridge and Bradford sub-divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Bradford; the tything containing 824 inhabitants. The chapel, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt a few years since: there is a second chapel at South Wraxall. The living is a perpetual curacy; income, £195; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
FamilySearch Catalog – Free
Bishop’s transcripts for South Wraxall, 1622-1880 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of South Wraxall (Wiltshire); Church of England. Parish Church of Bradford (Wiltshire); Church of England. Chapelry of Atworth (Wiltshire)
Land and property
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Bradford on Avon
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Potterne
- Poor Law Union: Bradford
- Hundred: Bradford
- Province: Canterbury
- Kelly’s Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889