Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1658
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1607
Parishes adjacent to Ashley
- Long Newnton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHLEY, a parish in the district of Tetbury and county of Wilts; near Akeman-street, 3 miles NE of Tetbury, and 4½ SSW of Tetbury Road r. station. Post Town, Tetbury. Acres, 946. Real property, with Newnton, £4,581. Pop., 90. Houses, 17. The property is all in one estate; belonged formerly to the Georges and the Hungerfords, and belongs now to the Estcorts. There is a large mansion, and there was formerly a market. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £220. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is ancient, with some arches round, others pointed, and a square embattled tower; contains a large rude font, and tomb of the Georges; and was repaired in 1858.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashley, 4½ miles N. Malmesbury. P. 96.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Marriages at Ashley 1658-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Tetbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
- Poor Law Union: Tetbury
- Hundred: Malmesbury
- Province: Canterbury