Alderbury Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Other places in the parish include: the chapelries of Pitton and Farley

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1606
  • Bishop's Transcripts: 1604

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Alderbury

Historical Descriptions

Kelly 1875

Alderbury is a parish and village giving name to the hundred and union in which it is situated in the Southern division of the county, Salisbury county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Salisbury, and rural deanery of Amesbury, 3 miles south east from Salisbury, and 87 from London on the Southampton road situate at the east of the Avon. The ancient church of St Mary was pulled down in 1857 and a handsome church of flint with stone dressings erected on the site it is a cruciform edifice in the Early English style with a cross surmounting each gable and a lofty spire it has a chancel nave north aisle and transepts there are two fine stained windows that in the transept being the gift of Sir Frederick H Bathurst bart and the other in the nave was given by a former vicar. The register dates from 1673. The living is a vicarage yearly value 300 in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury and held by the Rev Robert Sparke Hutchings MA of Christ Church Oxford. The following is a list of the places in Alderbury Union:- Alderbury, Britford, Clarendon Park, Coombe Bisset, Downton, Earldoms, Fisherton Anger, East Grimstead, West Grimstead, West Harnham, Homington, Landford, Langley Wood, Laverstock, Milford, Minton with Bodenham, Oldstock, Old Sarum or Old Castle, Pitton and Farley, Standlinch, Stratford St Anthony or Stratford Tony, Stratford under the Castle, the Close of the Canons of the Cathedral Church (Salisbury), Whiteparish and Winterslow. Thistlethwaite's charity of 7 yearly is for distribution. Alderbury House is the seat of GM Fort esq J.P. Earl of Radnor, who is lord of the manor, Sir Frederick HH Bathurst bart and GM Fort esq are the chief landowners. The soil is gravel subsoil gravel and sand. The chief crops are wheat barley and turnips. The parish contains 2,160 acres gross estimated rental 3,353 rateable value 3,020 the population in 1871 was 658.

Source: Wiltshire. Ed. by Edward Robert Kelly. (County topogr.). 1875

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALDERBURY, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, a hundred, and a district in Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, near the Salisbury branch of the South-western railway, 3 miles SE of Salisbury; and has a post office under Salisbury. The parish includes also the chapelries of Pitton and Farley. Acres, 4,332. Real property of Alderbury, Whaddon, and West Grimstead, £4,270; of Pitton and Farley, £2,921. Pop. of the parish, 1,334. Houses, 288. The property is divided among a few. Alderbury House, the seat of the Forts, in the vicinity of the village, was built of materials from the ancient belfry of Salisbury cathedral. Ivy-Church, some remains of which exist in a school-house on an eminence, was an Augustinian priory founded by King Stephen. The living of Alderbury is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; and includes the curacies of Pitton and Farley. Value, £477. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is excellent. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16. The subdistrict comprises five parishes, part of another parish, and three extra parochial tracts. Acres, 24,551. Pop., 4,357. Houses, 924. The hundred comprises most of the parishes and tracts of the subdistrict, and includes so many others as to be more extensive. Acres, 32,790. Pop., 4,877. Houses, 1,019. The district comprehends the subdistrict of Alderbury, containing the parishes of Alderbury, Winterslow, West Grimstead, Whiteparish, and Landford, part of the parish of West Dean, and the extra-parochial tracts of Clarendon-Park, Melchet-Park, and Earldoms; the sub-district of Downton, containing the parishes of Downton, Standlinch, Nunton-with-Bodenham, Odstock, Homington, Coombe-Bissett, and Stratford-St.-Anthony; and the subdistrict of Britford, containing the parishes of Britford, West Harnham, Laverstock, Stratford-under-the-Castle, and Fisherton-Anger, part of the parish of St. Martin, the liberty of Salisbury Close, and the extra-parochial Old Sarum. Acres, 53,490. Poor-rates in 1866, £11,086. Pop. in 1841, 14,174; in 1861, 14,770. Houses, 2,977. Marriages in 1866, 91; births, 472, of which 26 were illegitimate; deaths, 337, of which 82 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 were at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,069; births, 4,550; deaths, 3,365. The places of worship in 1851 were 23 of the Church of England, with 4,827 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 35 s.; 7 of Baptists, with 894 s.; 12 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,346 s.; and 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 822 s. The schools in 1851 were 27 public day-schools, with 1,633 scholars; 17 private day schools, with 325 s.; 36 Sunday schools, with 2,317 s.; and 5 evening-schools for adults, with 86 s. The work house is in Britford.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Alderbury, a parish in the division of Salisbury and Amesbury, union of Alderbury, Wilts, containing the chapelries of Farley and Pitton, and the tything of Alderbury. It is about 3 miles south of Salisbury. Living, a discharged vicarage, a peculiar of the treasurer of Salisbury cathedral; gross income £1,561. Patron, in 1835, the earl of Radnor. Pop. of the parish, in 1831, 1,323. Houses 233. Acres 3,950. A. P. £3,502. The township of Alderbury stands on a hill, in a good sporting country, in the vicinity of the Salisbury and Southampton canal; and is intersected by the South western railway, and the proposed Hants and Wilts Union railway. A manufactory of fustians here gives employment to many of the inhabitants. Pop., in 1801, 430; in 1831, 690. Houses 101. Acres 2,100. A. P. £1,689. Poor rates, in 1837, £218.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Alderbury, 3 miles S.E. Salisbury. P. 1440

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Crosby's Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815

Alderbury, (Wilts.) a village pleasantly situated in a good sporting country near the Avon. Its air is very salubrious, and it carries on a considerable manufacture of fustians. Distant from Salisbury 3 miles. On the left is a turnpike road to Southampton by Ramsey, or Redbridge. Population, 448.

Source: Crosby's Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1815; Baldwin, Cradock & Joy.

Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807

Alderbury, (Wilts) a village pleasantly situated in a good sporting country near the Avon. Its air is very salubrious, and it carries on 9 considerable manufacture of fustians. Distant from Salisbury 3 m. 2 f. On the left is a turnpike. Road to Fordingbridge.

Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807

Directories

Kelly's Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Residents 1855

Alderbury

Fort George esq Alderbury house

Phillips Rev Erasmus

Smart Rev Newton MA

TRADERB

Challis Thomas gardener 

Dowty George boot & shoe maker

Dowty John blacksmith

Hardiman Thomas Green Dragon

Lewis Abrahain tailor

Lewis James shopkeeper & beer retailr

Lewis John postmaster 

Prewet George wheelwright

Sopp John academy Ivy Church

Targett Charles boot & shoe maker

Taunton John farmer

Taylor Martin boot & shoe maker

Waterman William baker & shopkeepr

Farley

GENTRY

Freeling Rev James Robert

Gillingham Mr James F

TRADERS

Barton Benjamin shoemaker

Cook Charles blacksmith

Cook James farmer

Parsons David postmaster

Parsons Elizabeth Mrs farmer

Phillips Luke bricklayer

Plumley Chas teacher of Parochial schl

Pragnall Thomas wheelwright

Read Thomas shopkeeper

Roberts George shopkeeper 

Pitton

Barnett James shoemaker

Brieant Jeremiah wheelwrt & blacksmith

Collins Thomas farmer

Cook George farmer

Golding Henry farmer

Hatcher William shopkeeper

Hobbs William blacksmith

Laversuch Jabez shopkeeper

Maton Henry farmer

Offer Steven New inn

Parsons William & Arthur farmers

Pitt Stephen wheelwright

Seaward John farmer

Webb John farmer

Whitlock Elisba farmer 

Clarendon

Bathurst Lady Clarendon lodge

Batburst Sir Fredk bart Clarendon Idg

TRADERS

Maton Hugh farmer

Parham Thomas farmer

Parkins Thomas farmer

Waddon

Fraser Misses Louisa & Georgina Ball cottage

TRADERS

Bungay Stephen blacksmith

Goodfellow George Three Crowns

Parsons Stephen jun farmer

Parsons Stepben sen farmer

Phillips Mark farmer 

Source: Post office [afterw.] Kelly's directory of Hampshire, Dorsetshire, Wiltshire (the Isle of Wight, and the Channel Islands) 1855

Administration

  • County: Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Alderbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Treasurer of Salisbury in the Prebendal of Calne
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Amesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Alderbury
  • Hundred: Alderbury
  • Province: Canterbury