The County of Wiltshire

Wiltshire is bounded, North and North-west by Gloucestershire, North-east by Berkshire, East and South-east by Hampshire, South by Dorsetshire, and West by Somersetshire. It is from 39 to 54 miles long, and from 30 to 37 miles broad. It is divided into 29 Hundreds — Alderbury, Amesbury, Bradford, Branch and Dole, Calne, Cawden and Cadworth, Chalk, Chippenham, Damerham, Downton, Dunworth, Elstub and Everley, Frustfield, Heytesbury, Highworth, Cricklade and Staple, Kingsbridge, Kinwardstone, Malmsbury, Melksham, Mere, Pottern and Cannings, Ramsbury, Selkley, Swanborough, Underditch, Warminster, Westbury, and Whorwelsdown. The Thames and the Lower Avon are the principal Rivers; but there are also the Upper Avon, the Nadder, the Willey, the Bourne, and the Kennet. It has 26 Market-Towns. Wiltshire contains 1,379 square miles, or 882,560 acres. Population, 258,733.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Wiltshire Towns & Villages

Sherington Wiltshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Sherington, a parish in the hund. of Branch and Dole, union of Warminster, county of Wilts; 5½ miles north-east by north of Hindon, on the southern bank of the river Wily. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Salisbury; rated at £11; gross income £250. Tithes commuted in 1840. Patron, in 1841, A. B. Lambert. Acres 540. Houses 25. A. P. £969. Pop., in 1801, 134; in 1831, 179. Poor rates, in 1838, £67 16s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Ansty Wiltshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Anstey, or Ansty, a parish in the hund. of Hindon, union of Tisbury, Wiltshire; 5 miles south east from Hindon. Living, a donative curacy, not in charge, in the archd. and dio. of Salisbury; gross income £22. Patron, in 1835, Lord Arundell. The chapel is supposed to be the oldest in the diocese. The hospitallers had a preceptory here, founded in the reign of King John. At the dissolution, its revenues were £81 8s. 5d. Dr Richard Zouch, judge of the court of admiralty in the reign of Charles I., was a native of Anstey. Pop., in 1801, 242 ; in 1831, 348. Houses 67. Acres 840. A. P. £1,840. Poor rates, in 1837, £134.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Amesbury Wiltshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Amesbury, formerly Ambrosebury, or Ambresbury, and in Domesday-book, Amblesberie, a market-town and parish in the division and union of the same name, county of Wilts; 7½ miles north from Salisbury, and 78 west-south-west from London. It stands in a valley on the river Avon. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Wilts and dio. of Salisbury, in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Windsor; rated at £40; in the parliamentary returns at £80; gross income £141. The Wesleyan Methodists have a meeting house here. Continue reading “Amesbury Wiltshire The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851”