Appleby St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the county of Westmorland.

Other places in the parish include: Murton, Hilton, Crackenthorpe, Bongate and Langton, and Battlebarrow.

Alternative names:

  • Appleby St Michael Bongate
  • Bongate
  • Old Appleby
  • St Michael Appleby

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1582
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Appleby

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

APPLEBY, a small town, two townships, two parishes, and a subdistrict in the district of East Ward, Westmoreland. The town stands on the river Eden, and on the Eden Valley railway, 9½ miles ENE of Shap, and 13 SE of Penrith. It consists of Appleby-proper, in the parish of Appleby-St. Lawrence, on the left bank of the river, and Old Appleby or Bongate, in the parish of Appleby-St. Michael, on the right bank. It dates from the time of the Romans; and was long a place of similar importance to York. It gave name to a sheriffdom under Edward the Confessor; stood prominent at the Conquest; underwent surprise and demolition by William the Lion, king of Scotland; re-acquired speedily its former strength, and became the seat of a Court of Exchequer; suffered demolition again by the Scots in 1388; recovered but partially from the blow, and was desolated in 1598 by the plague; made a heroic resistance, under the direction of Anne, Countess of Pembroke, to the Parliamentarian army in 1648, but was constrained to yield. It is supposed to have had a length or breadth of at least 2 miles; and the name Burrals, belonging to a township now 1¼ mile distant from it, is believed to be a corruption of Borough-walls. The town was made a borough by Henry II.; and it sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward I. till disfranchized by the act of 1832. It is governed by a mayor, twelve aldermen, and sixteen burgesses; is a seat of petty-sessions, quarter sessions, and assizes; and is the place of nomination for the county members, one of the polling-places, and the head-quarters of the county militia. But its ancient glory is represented mainly by antiquities and historical associations, and has not been followed by modern prosperity.

Appleby-proper stands on a hill-slope, with the castle at its head, and the church of St. Lawrence at its foot; comprises one main street and three intersecting small ones; and is irregularly built, but contains some good houses. The castle occupies the site of the Roman station Galacum; was built by the Saxons, and rebuilt, in the time of Henry VI., by Lord Clifford; and contains a portrait of the Countess Anne of Pembroke, many other family portraits, some valuable manuscripts, and some interesting old armour. The church of St. Lawrence is an edifice in late English, chiefly rebuilt by the Countess Anne of Pembroke; and contains tombs of that lady, of her mother, the Countess of Cumberland, and of other Cliffords. The county-hall, in the Main-street, is a large, ancient structure. The market house, built in 1811, after a design by Smirke, is a handsome Gothic edifice. Queen Elizabeth’s grammar school contained some curious ancient inscriptions, recording the misfortunes of the town, found here and put up by one of the masters, the friend of Camden, but which have been removed; and it possesses an endowed income of £216, with five exhibitions at Queen’s college, Oxford. Countess Anne’s hospital, founded and endowed by the Countess Anne of Pembroke, is a quadrangular building for thirteen aged widows, and has an endowed income of £812. Other charities have £182. An ancient two-arched bridge spans the Eden, and connects the two sections of the town. The county jail, in Bongate, is an irregular structure of 1771, with capacity for 35 male and 8 female prisoners. The church of St. Michael, about ¾ of a mile SE of the town, is a neat edifice; and has tombs of the Hiltons of Murton. A monastery for white friars, founded in 1281 by Lord Vessey, stood in Bongate, and was given to an ancester of the Earl of Lonsdale. The town has a railway station, a post-office under Penrith, and a banking office. A weekly market is held on Saturday, and fairs on 17 Feb., Whitsunday Eve, Whit-Monday, the second Wednesday in June, the last Wednesday in July, and 21 Aug. Thomas de Viteripont of the 13th century, Thomas de Appleby, bishop of Carlisle, Roger de Appleby, bishop of Ossory, Dr. Bambridge, archbishop of York, and Dr. Christopher Potter, dean of Durham, were natives; and Bedell, bishop of Kilmore, Barlow, bishop of Lincoln, Addison, dean of Lichfield, and Dr. Langhorne, the translator of Plutarch, were educated at the grammar school.

The township of Appleby is identical with Appleby proper. Acres, 48. Pop., 960. Houses, 178. The township of Old-Appleby, or Bongate, includes the part of the town on the right side of the Eden, but also extends into the country. Acres, 3,261. Real property, £4,488. Pop., 654. Houses, 128. The parish of Appleby-St. Lawrence comprises the townships of Appleby, Scattergate, Colby, Burrals, Hoffe and Row, and Drybeck. Acres, 5,350. Real property, £6,291. Pop., 1,569. Houses, 300. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £306. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The parish of Appleby-St. Michael comprises the townships of Bongate, Cracken thorpe, Murton, and Hilton. Acres, 14,550. Real property, inclusive of Bampton, £10,226. Pop.,. 1,255. Houses, 242. This living also is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £175. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The p. curacy of St. John’s, Murton, is a separate incumbency. There are, in the two parishes, several dissenting chapels.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Murton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Murton, a township and a chapelry in Appleby-St. Michael parish, Westmoreland. The township lies on an affluent of the river Eden, 3 miles ENE of Appleby r. station. Acres, 5,766. Real property, with Hilton, £2,028; of which £193 are in mines, and £14 in quarries. Pop. of M. alone, 218. Houses, 38. Murton Hall was formerly the seat of the Hiltons, and is now a farm-house. Much of the land is moor and mountain; and parts in the E rise into Murton Pike and Murton Fell. Lead mines are worked by the London Lead company. The chapelry is more extensive than the township. Pop., 471. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £99. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was built in 1855. There are chapels for Wesleyans and United Free Methodists, and an endowed school with £7 a-year.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Register of burials, burial ground at Bongate Cross, Appleby, 1910-1991 Author: Appleby Joint Cemetery Board (Appleby, Westmoreland)

Census returns for Appleby-St. Lawrence, 1841-1891

Census returns for Applegate-St. Michael, or Bongate, 1841-1891

The parish churches of Appleby

Births and baptisms, 1816-1837 Author: Wesleyan Church (Appleby, Westmoreland)

Bishop’s transcripts for Murton, 1863-1879 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Murton (Westmoreland)

Bishop’s transcripts for St. Lawrence Church, Appleby, 1661-1869 Author: Church of England. St. Lawrence’s Church (Appleby, Westmoreland)

Bishop’s transcripts for St. Michael’s Church, Appleby, 1665-1870 Author: Church of England. St. Michael’s Church (Appleby, Westmoreland)

Bishop’s transcripts for Stanwix, 1668-1884 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Stanwix (Cumberland)

Church records, 1842-1932 Author: Wesleyan Methodist Church. Appleby Circuit (Westmoreland); United Free Methodist Church (Appleby, Westmoreland)

Church records, 1883-1902 Author: Wesleyan Methodist Chapels. Kirkby-Stephen and Appleby Circuits (Westmoreland)

Parish registers for Murton, 1863-1900 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Murton (Westmoreland)

Parish registers for St. Lawrence’s Church, Appleby, 1694-1906 Author: Church of England. St. Lawrence’s Church (Appleby, Westmoreland)

Parish registers for St. Michael’s Church, Appleby, 1582-1910 Author: Church of England. St. Michael’s Church (Appleby, Westmoreland)

Parish register printouts of Appleby, Westmoreland, England (Saint Lawrence) ; christenings, 1813-1869

Parish register printouts of Appleby, Westmoreland, England (Saint Michael) ; christenings, 1787-1870

Parish register printouts of Appleby, Westmoreland, England (Wesleyan) ; christenings, 1815-1837

The story of Appleby in Westmorland Author: Holdgate, Martin

Appleby at work : a historic directory of trades, occupations and professions practised in Appleby and the attendant townships of Burrells, Colby, Crackenthorpe, Drybeck, Dufton, Hilton, Hoff & Murton Author: McKay, Barry; Wilson, Chris; Atkinson, David

Borough of Appleby burgess rolls, 1888-1901

Appleby grammar school : from chantry to comprehensive Author: Hinchcliffe, Edgar

Westmorland Archives & Family History Groups

Cumbria Archives

CUMBRIA FHS – Home

Cumbria County History Trust | a collaborative community project

Cumbria Industrial History Society | Industrial History of Cumbria

The Cumbria Amenity Trust Mining History Society – CATMHS

GENUKI: Westmorland, Westmorland

Local History Societies

Alston Moor Historical Society

Asby History Group on the Asby Parish

Appleby-in-Westmorland Society

Appleby Archaeology Group

Bampton and District Local History Society

Cumbria Local History Federation (CLHF)

The History of Eamont Bridge

History Group on the Long Marton

Orton and Tebay Local History Society

Ravenstonedale Parish History Group

Shap Local History Society

Upper Eden History Society

Westmorland

Westmorland Poll 1826

Principal Inhabitants of Cumberland and Westmorland 1829 PDF

Westmorland, England – Wills Abstracts

Cumbrian Manorial Records – Homepage

Gravestone Photos

Westmorland Church Notes

Legends and Historical Notes

Place-Names of Westmorland

Pedigrees of Westmorland

Forums

Westmorland RootsChat.Com

Records for England

Births and Baptism Records

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977

England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Marriage Records

England Marriages, 1538–1973

Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Death Records

England Death Records, 1998-2015

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

England and Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1640-1660

Non-Conformist Records

England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977

Census

FreeCen

England and Wales Census, 1841

England and Wales Census, 1851

England and Wales Census, 1861

England and Wales Census, 1871

England and Wales Census, 1881

England and Wales Census, 1891

England and Wales Census, 1901

England and Wales Census, 1911

Occupations

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

War and Conflict

Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935

United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners’ Service Records, 1760-1913

United Kingdom, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners 1760-1887 (WO 122)

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

United Kingdom, World War I Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps Records, 1917-1920

Newspaper Archives

British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices

British Newspaper Archives, Obituaries

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Westmorland
  • Civil Registration District: East Ward
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Westmorland
  • Poor Law Union: East Ward
  • Hundred: East Ward
  • Province: York

Similar Posts