The County of Westmorland

Westmorland is bounded. North and North-west by Cumberland, East by Yorkshire, South by Lancashire, and West by part of Lancashire and part of Cumberland. It is 40 miles long, and 32 broad. It is divided into four Wards — East. Ward, Kendal-Ward, Lonsdale-Ward, West-Ward. Rivers: the Eden, the Lowther, the Eamont, the Lon, the Kent, the Winster. It has seven Market-Towns. It is in the Province of York, in the Diocese of Carlisle, and in the Northern Circuit. Westmoreland contains 763 square miles, or 488,320 acres. Population, 66,454.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Westmorland Towns & Villages

Appleby Westmorland – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870

APPLEBY, a market town of England, and the chief town of Westmorland, situated on the Eden, 28 miles S. E. from Carlisle. The castle was fortified and held for the king by the heroic countess of Pembroke, against the parliamentary forces in the time of Charles I., and is now in the possession of her descendant, the earl of Thanet. The borough was disfranchised in 1832. It formerly returned two members to parliament. The church of St. Lawrence is a fine building, containing the tombs of the countess of Pembroke, and her mother, the countess of Cumberland. Post town, Penrith. It has a money 0rd. off. Manf. Chiefly linen. Malt is made, and beer brewed in the town. Mar. D. Sat. Pop. 2824. It is a station on the Eden Valley Railway, a branch of the Stockton and Darlington section of the North-Eastern Railway, between Penrith and Kirkby Stephen, and also a telegraph station.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

Farlee Westmorland Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland Gorton 1833

Farlee, co. Westmorland.

P. T. Kirkby Lonsdale (253) 6 m. W b N. Pop. 102.

A township in the parish of Beetham, Kerdale ward. The manor, which was formerly included with Beetham, was sold to the tenants by Sir Richard Hutton, in 1693, and now pays only a free rent of 24s. yearly to the Earl of Derby.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833

Backbarrow Westmorland Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Backbarrow Ironworks

Last updated on February 15th, 2017

English: Backbarrow Ironworks.
English: Backbarrow Ironworks. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Backbarrow, a locality on the SW border of Westmoreland; adjacent to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 8½ miles SSW of Kendal. It has a post-office under Newton-in-Cartmel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Natland Westmorland Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Natland, a village and a township-chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland. The village stands adjacent to the Kendal and Lancaster canal and to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, near the river Kent, ¾ of a mile SSW of Oxenholme r. station, and 2¼ S by E of Kendal. The chapelry includes the village, extends into the country, and contains the r. station. Real property, £2,029. Continue reading “Natland Westmorland Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870”