Wolvey, Warwickshire Family History Guide

Wolvey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.

Other places in the parish include: Copson, Copsin, and Bramcott.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661

Nonconformists include: Calvinist, General Baptist New Connexion, and Presbyterian.

Parishes adjacent to Wolvey

  • Bulkington
  • Stretton Baskerville
  • Shilton
  • Withybrook
  • Copston Magna
  • Burton Hastings
  • Wigston Parva
  • Burbage

Historical Descriptions

Wolvey

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WOLVEY, a parish, with W. village and Bramcott hamlet, in Foleshill district, Warwick; 3 miles NE of Shilton r. station, and 4 S of Hinckley. It has a post-office under Hinckley. Acres, 3,790. Real property, £6,724. Pop., 958. Houses, 212. The property is subdivided. Edward IV. was surprised here by the Earl of Warwick, and conveyed hence to Middleham Castle. An ancient hermitage was on Wolvey Heath. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £230. Patron, alternately the Bishop of W. and Dr. T. W. Smith. The church's chancel was restored in 1858; and a handsome new parsonage was built in 1862. There are a Baptist chapel, a free school, and charities £30.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Wolvey, 4½ m. S.E. Nuneaton. P.923

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Universal British Directory 1791

Stands in a fine sporting country, near Hinckley, and north-by-east of Shilton. Market here on Wednesdays; and a fair for three days, viz. on St. Mark’s day, and those before and after. Wolvey-heath had an hermitage, the remains of which are to be seen one hundred yards west of the road from Nuneaton to Cloudesley-bush. It was at this place that Edward IV was surprised and taken prisoner by Richard Nevil, the stout Earl of Warwick.

Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Volume the Fifth.

Copson

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Copson, a hamlet in Wolvey parish, Warwick.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Warwickshire
Civil Registration District: Foleshill
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Worcester
Rural Deanery: Coventry
Poor Law Union: Foleshill
Hundred: Knightlow
Province: Canterbury