Walsgrave on Sowe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in the early 17th century from a chapelry in Coventry St Michael Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Walsgrave upon Sow, Sow, Sowe
Other places in the parish include: Sowe.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1677
Nonconformists include: Baptist, General Baptist, and Independent/Congregational.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SOWE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Foles-hill district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Sow, 4 miles NE by E of Coventry r. station; is known officially as Walsgrave-upon-Sow; and has a post-office under Coventry. The parish comprises 2,505 acres. Real property, £7,001; of which £1,156 are in mines. Pop., 1,667. Houses, 380. The manor belongs to Earl Craven. Coal and ironstone are worked, and ribbons are made. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Stoke. The church is good; and there are an iron chapel of ease, an Independent chapel, two Baptist chapels, and a national school. The sub-district contains also six other parishes and a hamlet. Acres, 11,590. Pop., 4,670. Houses, 1,053.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Foleshill
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Coventry
- Poor Law Union: Foleshill
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury