This fine pile of buildings faces New street and Stephenson Place. The Exchange was opened in 1865: the principal front is 180 feet long, the New Street front 63; it is four stories high, lighted by arched windows, and ornamented by columns with finely carved capitals. There is a tower over the central doorway, terminating with a spire, 100 feet high. The large room on the floor is the Exchange, and the Chamber of Commerce holds its meetings in the adjoining rooms. It cost about £20,000. A fine subscription portrait of Mr. Henry Van Wart, painted by Mr. H. T. Munns, is in the large room.
Source: The Foresters’ Guide to Birmingham and Its Neighbourhood. Presented by the Demonstration Committee to the Delegates In High Court Meeting, Assembled in Birmingham, August, 1883.Specially Prepared For the Occasion by John Alfred Langford, LL.D; F.R.H.S. Birmingham: James Upton, Baskerville Printing Works, Great Charles Street. 1883