Sutton Coldfield Warwickshire Family History Guide

Sutton Coldfield is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Warwickshire.

Other places in the parish include: Wylde Green, Little Sutton, Moor, Maney, Hill Hook Moor, Hill Hook, Hill, Boldmore, and Ashfurlong.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1603
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1565

Separate registers exist for Hill

  • Parish registers: 1836
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

Sutton Coldfield

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SUTTON-COLDFIELD, a town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Aston district, Warwick. The town stands on an eminence, at the terminus of a branch of the Northwestern railway, 7 miles NNE of Birmingham; took its name of Coldfield from a bleak adjacent tract on the W, not very long ago enclosed; dates from at least the Saxon times; was an ancient royal manor, which passed to the Earls of Warwick; got great advantages, in the time of HenryVIII., from Bishop Vesey, who was a native; is governed by a corporation, under a charter of Henry VIII., renewed by Charles II.; consists chiefly of one street, and has, of late years, been much improved; adjoins an extensive and fine park, available for the grazing of the inhabitants' horses and cattle, at small charge; is a seat of sessions and a polling place; carries on some cutlery manufacture; and has a post-office‡ under Birmingham, a r. station, a hotel adjacent to the r. station-built in 1864 at a cost of about £10,000, a town hall erected in 1859, at a cost of £5,000, a police station, an ancient church, an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, a literary institute, a free grammar-school, four other public schools, several alms houses, aggregate charities £2,295, and four annual fairs. The parish includes Ashfurlong, Hill, Maney, Hill-Hook, Moor, Little Sutton, and Walmley; and comprises 13,030 acres. Real property, £29,678. Pop. in 1851, 4,574; in 1861, 4,662. Houses, 980. Four-Oaks Hall is the seat of Sir W. J.Hartopp, Bart.; New Hall, of J. De H. Chadwick, Esq.; Moor Hall, of A. Hacket, Esq.; and Penns, of J. Horsfall, Esq. There are numerous villas; many of them occupied by Birmingham merchants. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Gross value, £2,400. Patron, the Rev. W. K. R. Bedford. The p. curacies of Boldmere, Hill, and Walmley are separate benefices. The sub-district includes two other parishes, and comprises 17,396 acres. Pop., 5,527. Houses, 1,159.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Wylde Green

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Wylde-Green, a hamlet in Sutton-Coldfield parish, Warwick; on the Sutton-Coldfield railway, 1 mile S by W of Sutton-Coldfield. It has a post-office under Birmingham, and a r. station.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Aston
  • Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Arden
  • Poor Law Union: Aston
  • Hundred: Hemlingford
  • Province: Canterbury