Spernall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Spernal
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
- Aston Cantlow
- Morton Bagot
- Great Alne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SPERNALL, a parish in Alcester district, Warwick; 3¼ miles N of Alcester r. station. Post town, Bromsgrove. Acres, 1,090. Real property, £1,264. Pop., 91. Houses, 21. The manor belongs to Sir W. Throckmorton, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £154. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Spernal. – a parish in Barlichway hundred, - 2 ½ miles north from Alcester, and 105 from London. In 1803 the parochial rates were £128 18s. 3d. at 6s. 2d. in the pound: its population in 1811 was about 100. In 1821 it contained about 150 inhabitants. In 1826 it was valued at £1057, and its proportion to the county rates was £4 8s. 1d. it is a rectory value £3 8s. 1d.
This estate was purchased by John Throckmorton, Esq. in the time of Henry VI. and has continued with his descendants to the present time.
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
Civil Registration District: Alcester
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Warwick
Poor Law Union: Alcester