Shuttington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Alvecote
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Society of Friends/Quaker.
- Thorpe Constantine
- Newton Regis
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHUTTINGTON, a parish in the district of Tamworth and county of Warwick; 1½ mile NNW of Polesworth r. station, and 3½ E by N of Tamworth. Post town, Tamworth. Acres, 980. Real property, £1,947. Pop., 194. Houses, 38. The manor belongs to the Earl of Essex. A priory, a cell to Malvern abbey, was founded at Alvecote, in 1159, by W. Burdet. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £318. Patron, the Earl of Essex. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shuttington, a parish in Tamworth division of the hund. of Hemlingford, union of Tamworth, county of Warwick; 3½ miles north-east by east of Tamworth, watered by the river Anker, and crossed on the south by the Coventry canal. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; certified at £6, returned at £88 10s.; gross income £318. Tithes commuted in 1804. Patron, in 1841, the Earl of Essex. Here are a daily and a Sunday school. Children of this parish are apprenticed from funds bequeathed, in 1716, by the Rev. John Clarke. Acres 980. Houses 31. A. P. £1,791. Pop., in 1801, 166; in 1831, 147. Poor rates, in 1838, £40 3s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Tamworth
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Tamworth