Salford Priors is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Salford
The parish contains also the hamlets of Salford-Abbots, Dunnington, Cock-Bevington, Wood-Bevington, Parkhall, Pitchell, Rushford, and Irons-Cross.
Church: St. Matthew
Parish registers begin: 1568
Nonconformists in Salford Priors include: Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Roman Catholic church: Our Lady and St Anthony, Abbots Salford.
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Salford Priors
- Historical Descriptions
- Poll Books
- Marriages Out of Parish
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to Salford Priors
- Abbots Morton
- Bidford on Avon
- North and Middle Littleton
- Church Lench
- Cleeve Prior
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SALFORD-PRIORS, a village and a parish in Alcester district, Warwick. The village stands near the confluence of the rivers Arrow and Avon, adjacent to the Malvern and Alcester railway, 4 miles S by W of Alcester; took the latter part of its name from an ancient priory, of which no traces exist; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Evesham. The parish contains also the hamlets of Salford-Abbots, Dunnington, Cock-Bevington, Wood-Bevington, Parkhall, Pitchell, Rushford, and Irons-Cross. Acres, 4,730. Real property, £8,580. Pop., 858. Houses, 188. The property is divided among a few. The Vineyard was the seat of Sir S. Clarke, owner of the manor in the time of Elizabeth; and is now a ruin. Park Hall belongs to the Marquis of Hertford; and is occupied as a boarding academy. Salford-Abbots House, now called the Nunnery, belongs to J. Eyston, Esq.; was occupied by French Benedictine nuns, from about the end of last century till about 1856; and is now partly a farm-house, partly a Roman Catholic chapel. Roman relics have been found. The rocks are chiefly of the lias formation, and abound in fossils. There are extensive marl pits, asalt spring, and a petrifying spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £176. Patron, the Rev. S. Garrard. The church has a spacious chancel, a S aisle separated by heavy arches, a flamboyant N window, and a tower 60 feet high; and was repaired and much improved in 1859. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £41 a year, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Salford, 4 miles S. Alcester. P. 865
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Salford, a parish in the Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, county of Warwick, 5¾ miles (S. by W.) from Alcester, containing 813 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £9, endowed with £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lady Skipwith. The church is dedicated to St. Matthew. The river Avon and its tributary stream, the Arrow, runs through the parish. William Perkins, in 1656, gave £232 for the support of a free grammar school; the annual income, now upwards of £40, is applied to instructing, in English, the children of parishioners; the classics were formerly taught, but they have of late years been discontinued. An ancient mansion, the property of Mr. Berkeley, is now occupied as a nunnery, the society consisting of an abbess, sixteen professed nuns, and a school for young ladies, noviciates.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831.
Salford Warwickshire Poll Book 1868
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of November 1868 between Lord Hyde. Sir R. N. C. Hamilton, Bart., K.C.B. H. C. Wise, Esq. John Hardy, Esq..
Poll Book, South Warwickshire Election, November 1868.
Alcester Polling District
No. and Name of Voter.
399 Adkins, Robert
400 Adkins, John
401 Arnall, Thomas
402 Baylis, Charles
403 Birch, John
404 Bomford, Heming James
405 Bomford, Benjamin
406 Chattaway, Joseph
407 Chambers, William Edward Eouse Boughton
408 Dyke, Thomas
409 East, Henry
410 Eyston, John
411 Garrard, Rev. Samuel
412 Hearne, Stephen Street
413 Hemming, John
414 Huband, Thomas
416 Nicholls, James
417 Nicholls, Joseph
418 Penrice, George, Esq.
419 Shailer, Thomas
420 Slatter, Henry Bandis
421 Banister, David William
422 Bomford, Frederick
423 Farr, George
424 Hartigan, Rev. Patrick
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Salford but who were married in another parish.
William Harris, of Salford, & Hannah Horn, of N. L. [blank] 1707 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
William Ellins, of Salford, & Margaret Couper, of N. L. 1 Mar. 1714 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
William Cull, of Salford, co. Warwick, & Margaret Smith … … 6 Apr. 1780 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
George Hygcocke, of Salford, husbandman, & Jone, d. of John Bushell, husbandman, of thys parysh. The last day of September, the first yeare of Phyllyp, our kynge, and the seconde yere of Marye, our Queene [—–] 1554 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Alcester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Warwick
- Poor Law Union: Alcester
- Hundred: Barlinchway
- Province: Canterbury