Ratley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Ratley and Upton
Other places in the parish include: Upton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1701
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RATLEY, a village and a parish in the district of Ban.bury and county of Warwick. The village stands under Edge hill, near the boundary with Oxfordshire, 4 miles SE of Kineton, and 4½ SW of Fenny-Compton r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Upton; and its post town is Kineton, under Warwick. Acres, 1,500. Real property, £3,046. Pop., 476. Houses, 93. The manor was known at Domesday as Rotelei; and belongs now to Earl Jersey. Stone is extensively quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £120. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and has a lofty tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £15 a year, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Banbury
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
Poor Law Union: Banbury