Polesworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: the hamlets of Warton, Dordon, and Hallend-with-Freazley, and the manors of Pooley and Bramcote
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1631
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669
Nonconformists include: General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Polesworth
- Baddesley Ensor
- Newton Regis
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
POLESWORTH, a village and a parish in Atherstone district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Anker, near the Coventry canal and the Trent Valley railway, 1½ mile N of Watling-street, and 4 ESE of Tamworth; is an ancient place; was once a market-town; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Tamworth, and a fair on the Monday after 19 Sept. The parish contains also the hamlets of Warton, Dordon, and Hallend-with-Freazley, and the manors of Pooley and Bramcote. Acres, 6,310. Real property, £8,914. Pop.in 1851, 2,104; in 1861, 2,451. Houses, 500. The manor and much of the land belong to Sir George Chetwynd, Bart. Pooley Hall belonged anciently to the Marmions; passed, in 1399, to the Cokains; was rebuilt, in 1509, by Sir T. Cokain; and belongs now to W. G. Wynne Finch, Esq. A nunnery was founded at Polesworth by King Egbert, or his son; was refounded, after the Norman conquest, by Robert Marmion; and has leftsome remains. There are collieries, quarries, and clay-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £502. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church belonged to the ancient nunnery; and consists of nave and aisle, with a very fine tower. The p.curacy of Warton is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, two Baptist chapels, and Church of England endowed schools with £401 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Polesworth, 4 miles S.E. Tamworth. P. 1844.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Polesworth A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Polesworth, co. Warwick.
P. T. Tamworth (114) 4 m. ESE. Pop. 1834.
A parish in Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, through which the Coventry Canal passes; living, a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry of Coventry and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry; valued in K.B. 10l.; church ded. to St. Edith; patron, the Lord Chancellor; but if the trustees of Sir F. Nethersole present, an additional income of 80l. is received by the vicar. Here was a Benedictine priory, founded by St. Edith
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Civil Registration District: Atherstone
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Atherstone